12,000 sq. ft.
General Construction, Pre-Engineered Metal Building, Design-Build
- Client: Nicewonder Aviation
- Market: Aviation
- Location: Virginia Highlands Airport (KVJI), Abingdon, Virginia
- Facility: Corporate Aircraft Hangar
- Pre-Engineered Metal Building Manufacturer: Nucor
- 12,000 square feet
- Concrete and steel, fiberglass insulation
- Clear span pre-engineered metal building with ridged frame and Schwiess bifold hangar door
- Amenities include a heated approach ramp, heated floor with epoxy coating and pilot’s quarters
- 6-month project duration
How Was H.S. Williams the Best Construction Company for the Job?
- Nicewonder Aviation needed a hangar for a new corporate jet and H.S. Williams Company has a passion for aviation.
- Our quick response to client requests, and six decades of experience with pre-engineered metal buildings, spurred shortened design time and expedited hangar construction.
- H.S. Williams Company brought several unique aspects to the hangar, including a heated approach ramp that ensures jet removal in inclement weather, and epoxy floor coating to brighten the interior and increase visual appeal.
Hangar Construction Challenges
- Working at an airport is a unique construction site that presents a number of challenges.
- H.S. Williams personnel had to remain ever vigilant of both ground and air traffic.
- Our engineers worked closely with the FAA and airport authorities to meet all guidelines on building construction, egress for the aircraft and aircraft clearances.